Greenhill Library opened in the deep of winter, on 28 February 1963. The snow didn't put local residents off from queuing down the lane to get in to their new library, though. Part of the Greenhill Estate, the library's modern design is typical of the postwar residential estates planned out by J. Lewis Womersley (city architect from 1952 to 1964). Its butterfly roof was designed to imitate the shape of an open book.
Pictured is the children's library, which, at first, was separated from the adult's.
Photo by Yorkshire Post. Image used with permission from Sheffield Local Studies Library.